The Founding Partners
On July 1, 1923, Alferd J. Hill and Vincent B. Morgan, both 1909 graduates of the University of Southern California School of Law, set out to practice law under the name of Hill & Morgan. Hill had already established himself as a highly accomplished attorney, after serving 10 years as the first County Counsel for the County of Los Angeles; Morgan was widely recognized as a superlative eminent domain lawyer.
Two years later, the firm became known as Hill, Morgan & Bledsoe. Benjamin F. Bledsoe had been the then-youngest judge to be appointed to the Superior Court of the State of California. In 1945, the firm added William M. Farrer, a prominent corporate lawyer, as name partner to become Hill, Morgan & Farrer.
After Morgan passed away, the firm made its final name change in 1950 to Hill, Farrer & Burrill. Stanley S. Burrill was one of the “finest condemnation lawyers in the West.” As a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers, he was listed among the most prominent trial lawyers in the United States.
The firm established a broad clientele from the many commercial entities flocking to the growing city. In fact, much of the early work of the firm is still evident today in the infrastructure of the city, such as the curve of the 101 Freeway as it rounds easterly out of Downtown — the result of the firm’s negotiation and litigation on behalf of a client which needed to retain its brewery to remain in business. As technology and society became increasingly complex, the firm’s practice areas have grown to accommodate emerging and expanding fields of law to become a full-service civil law firm.
Many law firms have come and gone since Hill & Morgan first opened its doors. Our 90+ year history of success finds its roots in a few enduring values — stability, integrity and exceptional attorneys. We have always measured ourselves by our commitment to professional excellence, quality of service and client loyalty.